Archive for April, 2011


I have been banging my head with an issue with ActiveSync not working properly.

Running the Exchange Remote Connectivity Analyzer I was constantly getting and error Where it failed to Sync folders due to a server closing the connection

FolderSync Failed: A connection was closed

Well as I always do, the first thing was to check IIS on the CAS.

So opening the Logs under Inetpub\logfiles\W3SVC1 I found this logged

2011-04-27 07:03:00 172.25.25.115 POST /Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync/default.eas Cmd=FolderSync&User=exch2010test&DeviceId=112284038&DeviceType=TestActiveSyncConnectivity 443 – 172.25.25.101 Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync/12.0+(TestExchangeConnectivity.com) 401 2 5 0

Now notice the error code is a 401.2, so checking for the IIS7 http status codes here, I can tell that this an authentication problem due to server configuration.

So next from here, its 1- an authentication problem and 2- Server configuration

So checking on the ActiveSync virtual Directory I found only Basic enabled, and so was the result checking from Exchange shell I found that WindowsAuthentication was disabled.

so I went ahead on the virtual directory and enabled Windows Authentication, restarted IIS. and guess what ??

IT WORKED Open-mouthed smile

I would always recommend you check IIS when anything is related to a service provided through it.

Lync Client Translator

This is a cool tweak for Lync Client which comes in handy when you are in a multinational company with a lot of different languages.

Basically you need to open a new text file and paste the below

 

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Communicator\ContextPackages\{69380005-8401-414c-9a8b-dea88e3ffb71}]
"Name"="Conversation Translator"
"ExtensibilityApplicationType"=dword:00000000
"ExtensibilityWindowSize"=dword:00000001
"DefaultContextPackage"=dword:00000000
"InternalURL"="http://input.microsoft.com/translator/OCTranslatorTestPage.html"
"ExternalURL"="http://input.microsoft.com/translator/OCTranslatorTestPage.html"
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Domains\microsoft.com\input]
"http"=dword:00000002

Then save the file as translator.reg

Run it on your client machine where Lync Client is installed, restart Lync Client and voila you get a translator built in Open-mouthed smile

Untitled

 

Capture

Working on an IVR solution combining the use of OCS 2007 R2 Response group and the Exchange 2010 UM Auto Attendant, I was faced with an Issue where the client doesn’t want the pre-recorded UM Auto attendant and wanted to customize that.

Although this is an unsupported modification as per here, but this is the only way to go through with that

Sooo, to begin with, if you have ever uploaded a modified Greetings to the auto attendant you will come to know it requires a special format for the file which is PCM 16 BIT mono WAV file. If it requires that then it has to be also using it for the customizable system voice responses.

Starting from there I went ahead and searched the server where the UM role was installed for WAV files and here is where I found the System Prompts “C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\UnifiedMessaging\prompts\en”

Looking at this 2000+ wav files I was able to locate the 2 files that were responsible for the prompt on a DTMF AA that said “Please enter the Extension now or press zero for the operator” now I have highlighted the sentence into 2 parts as I have found that the whole message is actually 2 files and not one.

the files were tvitospeaktooperator.1 and tvicallingExtensionNoCancel.1 ,so now I have modified the customized recording with the same name and same format and replaced those 2 files with the new ones. Called the AA and yesss, it works.

Now if you want to just cancel a message that you can’t avoid, create a Blank 1/2 a Sec recording and replace its file.

Pretty simple and pretty straight forward, but yet again this is Unsupported. So you might wanna keep your Original files somewhere.

Another thing

If you want to have two languages for the AA beside the ones already available from microsoft, like arabic is not there, just install a UM language pack, deploy another AA for the different language and then replace the needed files using the method above